Sure it is being speculated countless of times, but the job openings keep pouring in like rain. Blizzard has said in the past months they are working on multiple games, and seek to move to next generation consoles. Recently a job opening required knowledge of Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii. This is possibly for Starcraft: Ghost which went into hiatus. Although development was halted, there were rumors they would port the game to next generation. But there is also what Blizzard said about expanding to console games. Maybe a new franchise or one of the franchises going to Next Generation Consoles.
Then we have another series of job openings clearly saying the first line in bold: ” The team behind Diablo I and II is looking for an artist specializing in the creation of user interface art. This artist will create such things as in-game background screens, UI containers/borders, item icons, character portraits, etc. The ideal candidate has strong painting skills, the ability to adapt their style, and feels comfortable working in a team environment. “
So we have a possible Diablo III here. Back on 2003, after the executives left and shortly formed Flagship Studios (Hellgate: London), there was a exodus of 30 employees leaving Blizzard North. Buzz was there were two unannounced projects. Few may have known of this, but checking on Blizzard patents, back on 2003 there was a game titled Diablo II: Salvation registered. The patent seems expired.
However, this job opening available since May, seems to hint either a Starcraft 2, Warcraft 4 or new RTS Franchise game in development for PC. Back on March 15, we announced Dustin Browder had joined Blizzard Entertainment. He is a RTS developer with games such as Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth, Red Alert, Command & Conquer: Generals and MechWarrior under his sleeve.
The job opening below may have few interpretations and fans will differ among each other—but here between us … I hope it is Starcraft 2.
Game Balance Designer
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a talented and enthusiastic game designer to join our award winning studio. This position will focus on play balance, systems balance and multiplayer gaming. The ideal candidate will be an experienced real-time strategy enthusiast with an excellent analytical understanding of competitive online play. Blizzard offers a fun, creative and technically challenging environment with excellent compensation and a full range of benefits.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Absolute passion for playing and making computer games
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Experience playing real-time strategy games competitively
- Can organize and clearly present complex data
- Works well under deadlines
- Has a demonstrable understanding of competitive strategy gaming
- Excellent math skills
- Game design experience on a shipped product with head-to-head game-play
- Experience in designing and playing Real-Time-Strategy games
- Has played Blizzard strategy games extensively
- Played Warcraft 3 and/or StarCraft competitively
No follow-up calls or e-mails, please. This is a full-time position in Irvine, CA; internships and part-time positions are not available at this time. To apply, please send a cover letter, r?sum?, salary history/requirements in separate Word format documents to: email@example.com with your name and this job in the subject heading.
In your cover letter please answer the following questions:
- What games are you currently playing?
- Which competitive online games have you played?
- What is your win/loss record in your “Top 3” favorite competitive games?